Age is a natural process out of our control. People often accept weight gain as part of the aging process. However weight gain cannot just be attributed to age alone but also due to a decrease of physical activity, maintaining the same calorie as when younger (as you age your metabolic rate slows down). This is the time in your life when you should focus even more so on exploring new workouts and a well balanced low glycemic nutrition plan. As you age research shows there is a decrease in muscle mass as people age. For this reason women are at risk for osteoporosis. You can combat this process through exercise. Through exercise you can add years to your life and vitality to your years.
Tara Zimliki, certified personal trainer founder of Tara’s Boot Camp in Branchburg, New Jersey teaches people every day how to maintain healthier lifestyles and lose weight, no matter what their age or fitness level. “By making healthy food choices and doing quality workouts weight loss will come much easier than you expect” says Tara. She has learned what works to lose pounds and kick them to the curb for good! She has also learned through health and fitness how to add years to your life and life to years. Tara has helped countless clients to achieve their fitness and health goals.
Try these strategies to lose weight, get fit and add years to your life and life to your years :
- Drink 8-12 glasses of water. This will help eliminate bloating, suppress your appetite and increase metabolic functioning. Proper hydration will reduce food cravings, and keep your immune system in top condition reducing the chance of illness, thus adding years to your life.Bonus tip: Drink cold water throughout the day, research shows by drinking 8 glasses of cold water a day you will burn an additional 70 calories (because your body has to use energy to heat up water throughout day).
- Eat 6 meals a day to keep extra weight at bay. Mini meals throughout the day tame your hunger and help with weight loss.Bonus Tip: Each mini meal should have both protein and fiber rich complex carbohydrates. Protein and fiber keep you feel satisfied and not hungry.
- Jumpstart your fitness routine. Whether you are a beginner or advanced in your fitness level jumpstart your workouts by changing your normal routine. Get outdoors and use your environment to challenge you. Park benches are good for more than just sitting, challenge yourself by doing tricep dips on the bench. By switching up your workout routine and utilizing the outdoors you will eliminate boredom and find it easier to attain your fitness goals.Bonus Tip: Use the monkey bars to sculpt and strengthen your upper body and build up to several chin ups!
- Eat your greens. Boost your immune system, increase your fiber intake and curb your appetite by having 4-6 servings of vegetables daily.Bonus Tip: Start your day in the right way with a green shake. Want plenty of protein and fiber at the start of your day? Then why not try my favorite shake. It is Dr. Oz’s Green shake which combines 1 banana, 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1 cup orange juice, 1 container non-fat strawberry yogurt, 8 baby carrots, Handful fresh spinach, 2 tsp flaxseed oil, 2 scoops vanilla protein powder ( any brand), ¼ cup dry oatmeal. Combine all ingredients in blender with ice. Blend until smooth and serve.
- Start your day with a sweat. If you start your day with a healthy breakfast and a challenging workout you will be more productive throughout the day and be more likely to stick to your fitness routine. Can’t find time to workout in the morning? Do not stress you can still gain the same calorie burning workout in the evening but studies show in order to gain the most benefit you should do you workout whether it is morning or evening, the same time everyday.Bonus Tip: Hire a personal trainer and workout the same time several days a week for optimum results.
- Be positive. Do you look at the glass as half empty or half full? Research shows that positive thinking along with healthy changes will help you to succeed in your weight loss and health goals. A positive attitude does more than help with weight loss. Research shows that negative thoughts can depress your immune system and increase stress. This stress can affect your weight loss negatively. So turn that frown upside down and find the positive in each day!Bonus Tip: Be an example to all with your positive attitude. Recently I fell down in a marathon because another runner accidentally bumped into me. Rather than looking at the fall as something negative I found the positive. This fall was what pushed me to get back up and push myself even harder. When we get down in life we have to get back up and work hard. For this reason I ran well and finished the race with a smile. I even worked hard to motivate the runners around me. Life is what you make of it! So make the most of each day!
So remember age is just a number. How you feel is more important. I have clients that are 50 years only and feel (and look) like they are thirty and I have had clients that are in their twenties visit me for help because they feel much older. It is your life so take control of the destiny of your health. By taking care of your health, eating a healthy and balanced diet, an exercising you can add years to your life and life to your years! Give yourself the life you deserve!